While the adult entertainment industry has often had a reputation for being a hotbed of fraud, it’s not always as scandalous as it seems. Many legitimate businesses are struggling to find payment processing solutions with reasonable charges and to minimize their exposure to fraudsters.
As adult entertainment retailers increasingly expand into the digital marketplace, credit card processing is a must. And with credit cards comes credit card fraud, so fraud prevention becomes equally important. What can retailers do to minimize their risks?
Why Is Fraud a Problem for Adult Entertainment Retailers?
Fraud shows itself in the adult entertainment industry in three significant ways.
Increased Risk of Chargebacks
Chargebacks are costly and time-consuming for every business; the adult entertainment industry is no exception. In fact, the industry generally has a higher chargeback ratio than mainstream companies, relative to the amount of business they do. Adult entertainment customers frequently call their credit card provider and deny charges as fraudulent, unpurchased or unfulfilled.
With the potential to exceed $75 per dispute, chargebacks can swiftly eat away a company’s profits. And some credit card processors have lower thresholds for stripping retailers of their merchant accounts based on chargeback ratios, putting retailers at the mercy of high-risk merchant accounts.
Concern About Fronting Illegal Activity
The adult entertainment industry has a longstanding reputation for being the source of — and attracting — fraudulent behavior, so traditional credit card processors are often concerned such businesses are a front for illegal activity.
And rightfully so. Fraudsters frequently establish fake websites and collect payments for products and services that aren’t even available — even convincing online users to send money or release sensitive data.
Adult entertainment retailers are frequently the victim of card-not-present (CNP) transactions. Criminal activity is rampant in the industry, with fraudsters skimming credit card information, hacking bank accounts and stealing identities. Many merchants, like Match.com, include site disclaimers warning clients not to send money or provide credit card information to anyone they’ve met on the site.
Reputable adult entertainment processing solutions can help drive repeat product purchasing, increase conversions and help protect against online fraud. But the number of legitimate processors is shrinking, forcing merchants to accept substandard processing solutions that leave merchants increasingly vulnerable to fraud.
What Can Fraud Look Like for Adult Entertainment Retailers?
From CNP fraud to chargebacks, adult entertainment fraud can take several forms.
- Recurring subscriptions. Much of the industry’s fraud comes from friendly fraud for recurring subscriptions. Users don’t remember when their free trial ends and forget to cancel before the subscription period begins. When the first charge hits, customers initiate the chargeback process instead of cancelling.
- Concealing activity. Some online daters want complete privacy, and they may dispute a dating site’s credit charge to conceal their activities. Or perhaps a husband doesn’t want to admit to his wife about an adult entertainment credit card charge and feigns innocence, so the wife initiates a chargeback.
- Displeased with service. Some customers will dispute a charge if they are in any way unhappy with the product or service they received.
- Offshore credit card processors. Some adult entertainment merchants use offshore credit card processors to avoid the fees associated with high-risk processors. While this seems like a reasonable alternative, it’s not without risk for the merchant — for example, offshore merchants aren’t guaranteed FDIC protection.
- Fraudulent users. Criminals may use stolen credit card information to create multiple premium accounts on dating websites. They then use these profiles to scam users into sending money or disclosing sensitive data.
How Adult Entertainment Retailers Can Protect Themselves Against CNP Fraud
Chargeback fees can be devastating for any business; the adult entertainment industry is no exception. As a high-risk merchant, adult entertainment retailers need a safe and secure credit card processing solution that won’t break the bank.
Even more important, retailers must be able to distinguish between legitimate and fraudulent transactions to minimize chargeback fees, safeguard their merchant accounts and protect against friendly fraud.
At ClearSale, we’re committed to helping merchants in every industry maximize their sales and protect their profits. Contact us today to learn more about integrating a fraud protection solution that will protect you against the rising threat of CNP fraud.